Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Trip to Palmyra- Jackie and Shaun Visit

Alright! This trip was so much fun! It was crazy fast, but we got to see everything we wanted to and do almost all that we wanted. Since Jackie and Shaun were only able to come for a few days we packed their days full. They were supposed to fly in Saturday evening, I cannot remember what time it was supposed to be. But that flight got delayed and delayed and delayed. I went to bed pretty late and at about 3am I get a phone call from Keven, he had locked himself out. This was the time that they all got to our house from the airport. And guess what we all had to wake up early to start our drive to Palmyra, NY. 6 hours away I believe. Poor Keven had to drive the whole way. We stopped in Harmony, PA to see the priesthood restoration sight, which was so neat! We also got to see where Joseph and Emma's first home was. We ate lunch at this stop and then drove to the Whitmer Farm. Then we arrived in Palmyra and had dinner and dessert. We were told that we had to get ice cream from this little dive of a place. It didn't disappoint. It was very good and the portions were ridiculously big! We then headed straight to the Pageant. We had a friend that was saving us a spot and we weren't sure what to expect, or how busy it would be. I was not prepared for the tons of people protesting at the entrance. They were so loud and obnoxious, just like what happens outside during conference. I cannot believe people really think it is okay to bash another persons beliefs and be plain old rude. Anyway, the pageant was seriously so great! It was amazing. Luke even let us enjoy it. I did have to stand to the side and rock him to sleep during it, but I was just so happy that he was a good boy and was able to fall asleep. One amazing thing we experienced was great weather the night of the pageant. The night before they cancelled the show because of lightning. We had also heard from a lot of people how miserable some years are, because of the heat and the bugs. We had a perfectly cool eveing and we were not bothered too much with bug, so we felt truly blessed. We spent the night in a town about a half an hour away. So we didn't check in until almost midnight, needless to say we were bad and slept in the next day, missing church... We were all wiped out and we had so much to see before we drove the 6 hours back home. We loved being able to see these incredible church history sites! The sacred grove, was so much bigger than I had imagined. You could get lost in the trails they provided. It was so peaceful, a perfect Sunday activity. Luke was a great boy. I tell you this kid surprises me every time we travel. I think he is going to be miserable, especially without his regular naps and he is almost an angel. He doesn't do this if we are out running errands and miss a naps...that is why I stress, but for some reason if we are traveling he knows I am stressing or something and he is a good boy. I love it! Anyway, we had a fabulous trip. Luke loved Jackie and Shaun. He warmed up to them pretty quick. He especially loved bugging Jackie in the backseat, when she was trying to take a nap. We loved having them here with us even if it was just a sort amount of time. We had them see the historic sights in Philly the next day and then we took them the following day to DC. I will tell you what, we did a ton of walking in those couple of days, but we had a Blast!! Enjoy the picture overload!

No comments:

Post a Comment